Nagpur: A two-wheeler rider was seriously injured in the neck and fingers of a nylon manja (kite string) on the busy Pachpaoli flyover at around 8 am on 25th December. Rajesh Purankar (29), a resident of Manav Nagar in Nari, also told TOI that his two fingers and throat were badly injured by the nylon thread. “I was riding a bike when a stray manja fell in front of me on the flyover. It cut my fingers and throat,” he said.
Rajesh Purankar also told TOI that on December 25, he was going to the Wanjari Nagar church for Christmas prayers with his 6-year-old son Noel and wife on a two-wheeler.
When we were driving over the flyover at around 8 in the morning, Then suddenly my eyes fell on the nylon manja and I caught it with my right hand. But this cut off two of my fingers and I could not hold the manja.
As soon as I let him go, he slit my throat but luckily I managed to apply brakes of my two-wheeler and stopped. it saved my life, Raising questions on how the banned manja is still available in the city, he said.
Nagpur Traffic Police closes the flyover and ROB for vehicular movement
Although Rajesh Purankar did not file a police complaint, motorists who use the flyover also claim that nylon manja is used extensively by kite fliers from this part of the city.
Some motorists have even questioned the Nagpur police’s failure to check the sale and use of banned manja and the very seriousness of the Nagpur police in protecting motorists. They have also demanded that the city police and the Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) install pole-to-pole wiring on flyovers and ROBs to prevent manja from falling on commuters.
To completely prevent accidents from this Manja, the Nagpur Traffic Police closes the flyover and ROB for vehicular movement from 6 am to 6 pm only on the day of Makar Sankranti.